This policy sets out how Gow Real Estate uses your personal information and explains:
- What type of personal information Gow Real Estate collects and how it is collected
- How Gow Real Estate uses the information you provide
- How Gow Real Estate treats sensitive information
- Management and security of personal information
- Updating personal information
- Seeking access to the personal information Gow Real Estate holds about you
- How to contact Gow Real Estate
However, as with all organizations, the NPPs do not apply to personal information of current or former employees contained in employee records when those records are used directly in connection with the employment relationship. Further, it should be noted that some exemptions are contained within the NPPs with respect to matters such as the disclosure of information relating to public health or public safety, the disclosure of information with respect to law enforcement enquiries and the disclosure of particular information relating to legal proceedings and negotiations.
This real estate agency, through its Privacy Officer, is happy to provide further details as to the extent to which it is required to comply with the NPPs should any person wish. Alternatively, further details of the obligations imposed upon private organisations under Australia’s privacy laws can be obtained directly from the office of the Privacy Commissioner or by reference to the NPPs and the Privacy Commissioner’s associated guidelines.
What type of personal information Gow Real Estate collects and how it is collected
Gow Real Estate collects personal information from a variety of sources, including from members of the public, advertisers, prospective employees, mailing lists, recruitment agencies, contractors and business partners.
In general, the personal information Gow Real Estate collects includes (but is not limited to) name, address, contact details, gender, occupation, in some cases membership of professional associations and, where relevant, financial information, including banking details and income information.
Personal Information you provide: We store the personal information you provide or give to Gow Real Estate in other ways on the Gow Real Estate computer system and filing system. You may provide information when you request or acquire a product or service from Gow Real Estate, apply for a property for rent, sell or buy a property, submit a management authority, provide a product or service to Gow Real Estate, complete a survey or questionnaire, enter a competition, participate in forums or when you communicate with Gow Real Estate by e-mail, telephone or in writing (for example if you communicate with a property manager, sales representative or receptionist or provide feedback). Other types of information collected and held include:
- Information from vendors used with respect to the marketing and sale of real estate properties and businesses;
- Information from purchasers and potential purchasers of properties and businesses;
- Details of properties, owners and tenants used for the purpose of managing the leasing of both commercial and residential properties;
Automatic collection: Cookies: We may use a feature of your browser called a cookie to assign your computer a 'User ID'. Cookies do not contain information by which Gow Real Estate can identify you. They identify your computer to our server. You may configure your browser so that you are notified before a cookie is downloaded or so that your browser does not accept cookies. Gow Real Estate may use information contained in cookies to make assumptions about the user of the computer and to provide users of that computer with focused advertising, which Gow Real Estate believes, may be of interest, based on that information. To disable your cookies, please refer to the help menu within your Internet browser.
Indirect collection: Gow Real Estate endeavours to collect personal information about an individual only from that individual. In some circumstances Gow Real Estate may obtain personal information from a third party. This may include:
- Data obtained from third parties for the use of marketing, selling and leasing real estate properties and businesses;
- Information from databases of comparable sales of properties and businesses in order to appraise the value of other properties and businesses and in order to assist in the marketing of those properties and businesses;
- Data obtained from Tenancy database
How Gow Real Estate uses the information you provide
Gow Real Estate may use information it collects from you for the primary purpose for which it is collected and for such other secondary purposes that are related to the primary purpose of collection.
Gow Real Estate generally uses personal information to:
- Provide you with products or services you have requested
- Personalise and customise your experiences with Gow Real Estate.
- Help Gow Real Estate manage and enhance its services;
- Communicate with you;
- Provide you with ongoing information about opportunities with Gow Real Estate in which Gow Real Estate believes you may be interested;
- Give you the opportunity from time to time to receive e-mail and 'e-newsletters' from Gow Real Estate.
- In most cases where Gow Real Estate asks you to provide information about yourself, if you do not provide Gow Real Estate with that information, Gow Real Estate will not be able to provide you with the requested product or service.
Gow Real Estate may disclose personal information to other companies and individuals, which may only use it as set out above.
Gow Real Estate may also provide your information to:
- Third parties engaged by Gow Real Estate to perform functions on its behalf, such as trades people carrying out maintenance, mail outs, debt collection, marketing, research and advertising;
- Third parties authorised by you to receive information held;
- This real estate agency collects information to enable it to provide services in connection with the sale or leasing of properties and businesses;
- Information collected by this real estate agency is used to provide advice to customers and prospective customers with respect to real estate and business agency matters;
- Information collected by this real estate agency issued to assist with the delivery of services via the Internet;
- Information obtained from third parties, including the Valuer General’s Office, the Land Titles Office, local councils and other organizations is used for the purpose of assisting the agency in the valuing, selling and leasing of properties and businesses;
- Information obtained by the real estate agency is used for the purpose of marketing the services of the agency;
- Strata companies
- Other real estate agents
- Collection agencies
- Residential Tenancy Courts
- Landlords and landlord’s mortgagee
- Referees you have nominated or places you may have worked
Gow Real Estate uses Netway to deliver the e-mails and e-newsletters you may ask to receive. By requesting an e-mail or e-newsletter from Gow Real Estate, you agree that Netway may use your personal information in this way.
If Gow Real Estate sells part of its business, personal information may be part of the assets transferred to the purchaser.
How Gow Real Estate treats sensitive information
"Sensitive Information" means information relating to a person's racial or ethnic origin, membership of political bodies, religion, membership of a trade union or professional or trade association, sexual preferences, criminal record and health.
Gow Real Estate may use and disclose Sensitive Information only for the purpose for which it was provided or a directly related secondary purpose or as allowed by law unless you have agreed otherwise.
Management and security of personal information
Gow Real Estate has appointed a Privacy Officer to oversee Gow Real Estate's management of personal information in accordance with this policy and the Commonwealth Privacy Act.
Gow Real Estate protects the personal information Gow Real Estate holds from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure by various means including firewalls, pass word access and secure servers.
Updating personal information
Gow Real Estate endeavours to ensure that the personal information it holds is accurate, complete and up-to-date. Please contact Gow Real Estate via www.gowre.com.au, by telephone or personally to update information held by Gow Real Estate. Where personal information is no longer required by Gow Real Estate, it will be destroyed or de-identified.
Seeking access to the personal information Gow Real Estate holds about you
You have the right to seek access the personal information held about you and to advise Gow Real Estate of any inaccuracy. There are some exceptions to this right set out in the Privacy Act.
If you make an access request, Gow Real Estate will ask you to verify your identity and specify what information you require. Gow Real Estate may charge a fee to cover the costs of meeting your request. Further details as to these costs can be obtained by contacting the real estate agency Privacy Officer.
This real estate agency requires, for the purposes of clarity, that any requests for access to personal information be made in writing addressed to the agency's Privacy Officer.
This real estate agency will generally provide access to information by providing to the individual concerned copies of relevant documents. Where, for reasons of volume or otherwise, providing copies of documents is not practical, this real estate agency will make arrangements for the individual concerned to attend at this real estate agency’s offices to carry out a physical inspection accompanied by the Privacy Officer.
Wherever possible, this real estate agency will provide copies of documents or access to the information that it holds with respect to an individual within 14 days of the receipt of the relevant request. In the case of more complex requests this real estate agency will endeavour to provide access to the information within a period of 30 days. If individuals believe that information held relating to them is incorrect they are entitled to request that this real estate agency corrects that information. Should this real estate agency believe that it is entitled to refuse a request to access information or to make corrections it will provide written reasons for its decision.
How to contact Gow Real Estate
If any individual wishes to make a complaint about this real estate agency’s activities with respect to privacy and the NPPs or obtain more information about the way in which this agency manages personal information it holds, the individual should make immediate contact with this real estate agency’s designated Privacy Officer, Mr John Gow. That Privacy Officer and the senior management of this real estate agency can be contacted at the following details:
1/18 Jersey St, Jolimont, WA 6014
Phone & E-mail:
Telephone: +61 8 6389 7777
Facsimile: +61 8 6389 7750
E-mail: [email protected]
Should any person wish to obtain further information with respect to the type of personal information this real estate agency holds, the purposes for which his real estate agency uses that information and/or the way in which this real estate agency manages that information, that person should not hesitate to contact this real estate agency’s Privacy Officer at the contact details set out above.